Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Try-it Tuesday

I want to start this tradition that some of my friends do. I'm always looking for new recipes that I know have been tried and liked by friends. So on Tuesdays I'll post some of my favorite recipes. I'm late this week as it's Wednesday...but here it goes.
Stir Fried Sesame Vegetables with Rice
INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
3/4 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
1 tablespoon margarine
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1/2 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 large yellow onion, sliced
2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root
1 teaspoon minced garlic
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil

I did a lot of switching around with this recipe. I'm lazy, so I just used a store bought bag of frozen veggies...I love the bags that have mixed beans, water chestnuts, carrots, pea pods, peppers etc. I also added cut up chicken.

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a saucepan combine broth, rice and margarine. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed. Place sesame seeds on a small baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 5 to 6 minutes, or until golden brown; set aside. Meanwhile, heat peanut oil in a large skillet. Add asparagus, bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, ginger and garlic and stir-fry for 4 to 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender but crisp. Stir in soy-sauce and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and stir in sesame oil and toasted sesame seeds. Serve over rice.

1 comment:

Lynette said...

Hey, that's a cool idea. I love getting new recipes too. Maybe I'll start doing that so you can get recipes from me as well.

Thanks so much for that coupon website! That is extremely useful and it's awesome!