Monday, April 20, 2009

Carthage Jail

We left Nauvoo and headed for Carthage Thursday morning. It was so amazing..but I was really stressed the whole time, because it was Addy's naptime and she was doing her eagle screech and I was trying to keep her quiet before I got kicked out:) The visitor's center had 2 really cool paintings side-by-side..one of Joseph and one of Hyrum. I loved it because I've never really seen a painting of Hyrum before. We watched a video in the Visitor's Center and then they take you outside and they tell the history of the jail. I never knew it was lived in for several years. Then they take you room by room through it. Up in the room the prophet was shot it, they play an audio clip explaining what happened, what was said etc..with a solo of "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief." The spirit is so strong there..and it's amazing the feeling of being in a room the Prophet Joseph Smith was in. I know Joseph Smith was a prophet of God, and that he saw and spoke with Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. I know that he restored the Gospel to the earth and translated the Book of Mormon. My testimony of him has grown so much in the past week. Here's a few pictures of the jail.

The original door with the hole from the bullet that shot Hyrum.


The window on the left is the one that Joseph jumped/fell out of.


They were in this room..but were moved to the bedroom because of no ventilation.


Joseph on the left, Hyrum on the right.


View from the parking lot.

No comments: