Monday, April 20, 2009

Spirit of Nauvoo

We had so much fun in Nauvoo - it was my second time going there and Chris's first. We felt the spirit immediately when we started up the street into city. It makes me so excited for the future when Chris and I can serve a mission together - hopefully to Nauvoo:) It's my favorite place on earth so far. I never want to leave that special town. I loved waking up knowing I was there..it was such a different feeling than waking up everywhere else. The biggest difference for me going this time compared to a few years ago - was walking down Parley street with my little family. Pres. Hinckley said that everyone that goes there should make the walk down that street just like the Pioneers did on their way out of town. This time making the walk, I was married with a daughter so it made me tear up putting myself in the Pioneer's shoes. I was very aware of how they must have felt..I had Addy wrapped up in a blanket holding her and Chris next to me and it made me so emotional imagining having to make that journey with a baby. We went to the Rendevous (a play the Senior Missionaries put on each night) Wednesday night. It tells the story about Nauvoo. The most touching part for both Chris and I, was during the song " Goodbye Nauvoo." The husband comes home to tell his wife they needed to leave, and at first she was saying no. She had willingly accepted all the other departures they had to make from other cities. But asking her to leave Nauvoo was asking to much. After seeing it as a commandment, she obediently said okay..and then started singing this song about everything she loved and will miss about Nauvoo. Anyway, we had an awesome time and loved getting to know the Nelson's. We're so grateful they let us stay there with them, and it's always so awesome to be around missionaries and feel of their spirit. Here's some of the pics we took.


This is the statue of Joseph and Hyrum just down from the temple. It's of them leaving together for Carthage.


Addy and I in the Family Living Center..it has stations where you can learn everything they did back then..from candle making, spinning cotton into thread/yarn etc., how they made tools and on and on!! It was incredible!



This is a statue of Joseph and Brigham Young at the banks of the Mississippi where they had to cross. The plaque talked about how Joseph took him down there to show him his vision of moving to Salt Lake.


Our little family after taking a wagon ride to all the sites.

No comments: