Saturday, May 28, 2011

Las Vegas update and some kind words

Mindy said that it would be nice for me to post an update on the internship. Things are going well so far here. I am enjoying the warm weather and it hasn't gotten too hot yet. I love that the sun shines most of the time. My classmate and I are living with a guy that we met playing basketball named Grant. He is a single guy that owns a home and wanted to rent out two of his rooms. I am very comfortable there and Grant is a nice guy. I work monday-thursday from 7-5:30 so we have to leave around 5:30 am to meet our carpool by 6:00 and be out to the site by 7:00. We usually get home around 6:45 pm, so it makes for some long days. I am learning a lot and getting more confident each day. It has been an adjustment since we aren't that busy. I'm used to retail where you are always on the go and staying active. This job seems like there will be lots of routines and lots of downtime where we are just sitting in the office reading procedures, etc. I just have to keep my mind busy with things and try not to get overwhelmed with all of the new information. The site is very cool. It is way out in the mountainous desert land 50 miles from the northwest part of Las Vegas. The site is roughly 1,400 square miles which is about the size of Rhode Island. One person said to me, "yah but Rhode Island is one of the smallest states." All I could think is yah but it's still a lot of land. We spend a lot of time in vehicles going to and from the different areas and so I end up getting carsick quite often. When I'm actually doing the routines and working with the different radiation detectors, I am really enjoying it. It will just take time to adjust to how slow everything is.

I am doing pretty well all things considered. I can definitely see that the Lord has guided this whole process. Everything from getting this intership to meeting Grant and feeling inspired to talk to him has been the hand of the Lord working in our lives. I'm starting to learn how to trust Him more. I am at peace with this process and I know that He is preparing a path for us and a place for us to land. I am so thankful for the Lord. He is ever mindful.

Now I would like to say a few words about being away from my family. It is like I am missing part of myself when I am away. I cannot feel whole without them and it's difficult. I think of them all day and I can't wait to get home and get on Skype just to hear their voices and to make them laugh. I know that this sacrifice will be worth it in the end. I am so blessed to have such an amazing wife. She is amazing! She is such a great mother and wife. I know that having three children so quickly into our marriage has been difficult but she has met the challenge and exceeded all expectations. I am so lucky to have this angel as my wife. It won't be long before we are back together again and I will be able to be a better provider. Until then we will be doing everything we can to see each other as much as finances and time permit. -Chris

2 comments:

Requel said...

OH that was so nice. What a sweet husband you are Chris. I can only imagine how hard it is on you both and those little babes. Eric has a hard time just when I go to Idaho for a few days to visit. I'm so glad you all get to spend this weekend together!

Hayley Nelson Potter said...

I loved the update, thanks for sharing! You do have an angel wife and she has a pretty awesome husband too:)